Friday, December 7, 2007

Utility biking is what it's called!

I've been using a bike to get where ever I have needed to go in an effort to reduce car usage and parking fees. When deciding on what kind of bike to get, I specifically wanted a bike like I had seen in Asia and Europe (see figure below). It's not a mountain bike or racing bike. It wasn't a beach cruiser either. These bikes were used by people to get around, running errands and stuff. No frills like an extensive gear system or extremely light alloys. In the US, most bike riding has some sort of sport involved or is marketed toward children. While searching around for specific bike parts, I came across the wikipedia entry for what is called "utility biking." Apparently, it's the appropriate way to describe using bikes to run errands or to get around town.

Figure. Utility bike.
Source: http://clevercycles.com/blog/images/jorgbike.jpg


When looking for a "utility bike," I came to learn that there isn't a big market for utility biking in the US. I wanted a bike that was comfortable to ride and could carry things. Bikes built for comfort generally fall in the direction of beach cruisers. The ability to carry things are designed more toward the mountain or touring bike with various packing attachments and accessories. I guess, it is consistent for mountain bikers to also go backpacking, hiking, or camping. But I also recall my middle school days where I helped my brother deliver newspapers for a short time (boy, was that unprofitable). Anyway, to carry the newspapers, I had a front basket for my bike and my brother had a rack upon which he had canvas saddlebags.

When going about putting together my own utility bike, I took several of the things mentioned above into consideration. First when it came to bike frame I chose the beach cruiser. The beach cruiser has many similar characteristics to the utility bike. It had front and rear fenders to ward off spray from the wet ground. Having ridden a mountain bike, I've been splashed in the face and had a mudstrip up the back of my shirt or my backpack. It also had a chainguard to protect pant legs from catching on the gears and getting too dirty from the chain. The seat to a beach cruiser is also a bit wider and more comfortable compared to a mountain bike or racing bike. Mountain bikes and racing bikes are more narrow to allow the bicyclist to use their legs more efficiently. But sitting on a narrow bike seat for long periods of time is uncomfortable.

One last thing I learned about the frame came from watching a television program about the evolution bicycles and motorcycles. It has to deal with the body position of the bicyclist. The stance of the rider was compared to the various ways of horseback riding. The competitive horseback rider, exemplified by the showjumper or the racetrack jockey, sat very differently in the saddle from non-competitive horseback riders. The competitive rider generally sat leaning forward in the saddle, utilizing the legs more than a non-competitive rider. This made the saddle more narrow, bringing the legs of the rider closer, reducing air resistance or drag.

On the other hand, the non-competitive rider, exemplified by the cowboy or vaquero, sat more upright in the saddle. The saddle thus held more weight of the rider and was wider and more padded to increase comfort. Thus, a great difference emerged in the design of horse saddles. Horse saddles gave way to bicycle and motorcycle seats. Competitive bikes (ex. mountain and racing bicycles) and motorcycles (ex. sportbikes) still have the rider leaning forward while non-competitive bikes (like beach cruisers or touring motorbikes) have riders sitting more upright (see figure below).

Figure. Body position across bike frames.
Source: http://clevercycles.com/blog/images/


Since the sitting position between competitive and non-competitive riders differ, so does the shoulder position. By leaning forward, the center of gravity moves forward on the bike, employing the muscles and joints of the shoulders and arms. This can be a point of stress for some bike riders. By riding a beach cruiser, the center of gravity is closer to the bike seat and less stress is placed on the shoulders and arms. Overall, the beach cruiser best suited my riding needs.

Materials-wise, I ended up getting a beach cruiser made of steel instead of the more expensive, lighter metals, like aluminum or titanium. It was the only beach cruiser with front and rear fenders and chain guard. The chain guard is only a half chain guard and not a full chain guard as seen on some utility bikes. Full chain guards cover the gears and chain completely. I have yet to see a bike with a full chain guard sold in the US. I would like one to fully protect pant legs. I think the half chain guard is primarily designed to prevent pant legs from getting caught in the front gear(s) and then to protect against chain grease. But I still get grease marks from the bike chain on my pant legs.

Next, when it came to carrying things, I immediately thought of the old newspaper route. The large front baskets aren't really sold in large retailers like a Target and WalMart or in a specialized, outdoor retailer like REI. I bought mine at a small bike shop that caters to all kinds of bicyclists, which would include those with a paper route (see figure below). That was easy enough but I had a tougher time deciding what to do about getting a rack and saddlebags. The security of the saddlebag was my main concern. Looking online, I came across numerous discussions about the need to secure the saddlebag to the rack. The costs can also be great.


Figure. Front basket.
Source: http://bicyclesports.us/0675e890.jpg


However, I found a decent compromise in a one-piece metal rack and side baskets. I carry canvas bags and just plop them down into the side baskets. One problem, however. It looks like the rack wasn't designed to fit onto a beach cruiser frame. The rear wheel sits further behind the seat than it would on a mountain bike or different frame. As result, the rack does not extend far enough to easily attach to the bike frame, below the seat. This results in the rack tilting forward. But it is still usable and the I can carry larger items on top of the rack.

Well, my utility bike seems almost complete. However, I was looking for a specific bike part earlier. It is a center bike stand. Most bicycles come with a kickstand, where the bike leans to one side. However, there are also center bike stands that elevate the rear tire when used (see figure). This is more common on motorcycles in the US but is also common on utility bikes in Europe and Asia. Looking for a center bike stand is what started this while blog entry. A couple things still linger. I'd like to find a full chain guard.

Figure. Center bike stand.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Utility_bicycle_kickstand.jpg

No comments: